The USA based Life Time Grand Prix series for gravel racers will expand to seven races in 2023 – the last race a ‘Wild Card’ that will be announced 11 January. Along with this change, athletes will have the option to drop results from two events (using results from their best five races) in the $250,000 USD prize purse series.
Field sizes are also increasing for the by-invitation-only series, from 30 to 35 riders for both females and males, but only the top 10 overall riders for each gender will earn cash prizes.
Additionally, with over $250,000 in cash to be awarded, Life Time will significantly expand anti-doping protocols and controls to include more races and athletes to help insure the competition is fair for all elite riders – including not only the 70 Grand Prix racers, but ALL elite gravel riders.
“Over the last year, we’ve seen phenomenal progress in accomplishing our objectives to bring more fans to the sport of cycling domestically and advance positive change in the landscape of professional and recreational cycling in the U.S.,” said Life Time’s Kimo Seymour. “Building on last year’s solid momentum and the extremely positive sentiment we heard from athletes and brand partners, we’re very excited to host this season’s group of athletes representing diverse backgrounds. We can’t wait to see how the 2023 season will play out.”
To earn a series invitation to the $250,000 Life Time Grand Prix, graveleurs must apply between 1-7 December 2022 HERE. Riders will be selected based on a range of criteria including, but not limited to, their race resume and past race performances, their interest in becoming a part of the Life Time Grand Prix, and how the rider is helping to grow cycling in the U.S. through their activities.
Life Time will announce the invitation recipients (35 men and 35 women) on 15 December.
USA 2023 Life Time Grand Prix Events:
- 22 April: 100K cross country MTB Life Time Sea Otter Classic in Monterey, California
- 03 June: 200-mile Garmin UNBOUND Gravel in Emporia, Kansas
- 08 July: 69-mile Life Time Crusher in the Tushar in Beaver, Utah
- 12 August: 104-mile Stages Cycling Leadville Trail 100 MTB in Leadville, Colorado
- 16 September: 40-mile Life Time Chequamegon MTB in Cable, Wisconsin
- 21 October: 100-mile Life Time Big Sugar Gravel in Bentonville, Arkansas
- ‘Wild Card’ race be announced 11 January 2022
Photos/Media: Life Time Fitness