The 17th edition of the TOUR-Transalp gran fondo stage race ended on Saturday at Lake Garda, Italy after seven demanding Alpine stages with riders competing in pairs.
Thomas Gschnitzer and Daniel Pechtl won the overall title, Paolo Decarli and Riccardo Carlin won the masters category and Carlo Muraro paired with women’s World Champion and professional Tatiana Guderzo won the mixed pair category. Guderzo used the event to prepare for the Giro Rosa, the women’s Giro d’Italia, starting on July 5th.
986 participants from 30 countries took part in the stage race across the Alps. Overall, they completed 797km with 18,603 vertical meters of climbing over seven days. With brutal heat conditions throughout the Alps and southern Europe it was a very challenging week on the bike for all participants.
The first edition of the Transalp TOUR took place in 2003 and since then has become one of the most difficult, beautiful and spectacular stage races for amateurs in the world. It is so popular it sells out every year.
2019 TOUR-Transalp stages:
1. 23.06.19 Innsbruck – Bressanone 90.08 km / 1.174 m
2. 24.06.19 Bressanone – Caldaro 143.40 km / 3.473 m
3. 25.06.19 Caldaro – Bormio 137.02 km / 3.749 m
4. 26.06.19 Bormio – Livigno 133.43 km / 3.445 m
5. 27.06.19 Livigno – Aprica 109.66 km / 2.463 m
6. 28.06.19 Aprica – Ossana 82.34 km / 1.979 m
7. 29.06.19 Ossana – Riva del Garda 100.47 km / 2.320 m
©TOUR-Transalp photo gallery below:
GRAN FONDO CALENDAR USA CAN MEX here
GRAN FONDO CALENDAR EUROPE here
GRAN FONDO CALENDAR UK GREAT BRITAIN here.